Sunday, June 7, 2009

Watermelon

As Father's Day approaches, I always am reminded by the cards at Target. No matter where I am, Chicago or Naperville, the cards with the cardigan sweaters or the Weber grills are reminders that I don't have a dad to buy a card for. Not that we ever were big on Father's Day, but I do admit I miss picking out a silly card for my dad. I bought my first watermelon of the season last week. I thought I had done a good job with my thump until I came home and discovered I had bought an under ripe watermelon. I think I'm out of practice. The smell alone though took me back to Saturday mornings in Naperville. Usually Dad would buy a watermelon and Denise and I would cut what we called "slabs" and eat them. I also think of Wimbledon about this time as well even though it's a little early. Must be something about the warm weather. Back to the watermelon, last summer someone introduced our dogs to the rind and now Nestle is addicted. Of course the only food she's ever turned down is lettuce. She and Daisy are both happy to eat the rind and wait until I'm done, which takes awhile to eat a slab, you know, to give each one to them. Hopefully the wind and clouds will stay away today long enough for us to swim. Jim, Chaco's founder, came by last week while he was in town and surprised us, making Chaco a happy dog in the process. I was showing Stacy, Jim's girlfriend, the pool before the three of us went to dinner and Nestle decided she was going for a swim. She doesn't do that too often and I realized she needs more pool time. If the weather would be more cooperative, she would get it!

No comments: