Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day, Michelle Style without my Dad

Today is Father's Day, a time when we traditionally buy dad a gift of something he wants (not needs!). If you spend enough time looking at the newspaper ads and the commercials on tv, you'll know that these things could be clothes, grilling supplies, sports equipment, even a new drill. But for those of us without a dad here on earth, it's a sad day. Each time I push my cart through Target on my way to the food section, I pass the greeting card aisle where I'm reminded that there is no card to buy my dad anymore. I see the ones with grills or the argyle sweaters and I want to grab and them and pick them. Until I remember I don't have anyone to send one to. Instead, today I will make samosas and read the Marley & Me script (we're getting ready to start the Ginger's Gift screenplay) at my pool in the sunshine. My dad is with me, I am sure of that, but it's not quite the same without him to call and have a chat about the bugs that are eating my sunflowers and the price of gas. To everyone who has experienced a father loss, I'm thinking of you today.

No comments: