Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Daisy visits a senior center






I did a presentation today at the Meadowlark Senior Center in Rio Rancho. It had been scheduled a few months ago, long before Daisy got sick. Lorrie, the person who contacted me, said I could bring a dog so I took Daisy. She is a former "puller" but since she's been sick, she has really slowed down. However, being among all the people today must have excited her because she pulled and pulled. She got lots of compliments in the hall. The presentation went well and we discussed Daisy's holistic cancer treatment as well as my work on how people use dogs to help cope after human loss. They say 1 in 4 dogs gets cancer so I'm obviously not the only person going through this. One woman said my presentation made her think about her dog differently. It also seems like maybe there's a greater purpose to Daisy being sick. I took her because I want to give her as much social interaction as possible but maybe she's supposed to help other people in some way as well. I believe, despite the raw awful pain, that we are put where we are supposed to be at any one moment although sometimes we can't quite understand it from where we are currently standing.

No comments: