Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The night market, Lantau Island, and the peak






I head home tomorrow afternoon (that's Hong Kong time) so this will be the last post from HK. I have had a lot of people ask me if I voted already. They are watching the election around the world (and rooting for Obama). Amy, a researcher, took me out with her husband last night to dinner to a Chinese restaurant where nothing was in English. Our booth even had a tv. She said that's because the Chinese like to watch tv while they eat dinner. I saw election coverage in Chinese. They also don't have toilet paper in their bathrooms. She says this is because the Chinese will take it home with them-- all of it (and she is Chinese!). Then we went to the night market in Kowloon. Lots and lots of stuff, fortune tellers, and food. Today I went to Lantau Island and took the cable car up to the giant buddha. He is the tallest in the world, seated outside. Then I went to the Po Lin Monastery. I took a bus back to the ferry which took me back to Hong Kong. From there I went to the peak and took the tram back into the central district. Hard to believe I've been here about a week. I just couldn't do Chinese food tonight. I am craving spaghetti! I also will be glad to get back to greenery. The path up at the peak was nice because it was green and quiet. I don't know how they live in high rises like they do here. Amy's family consists of her, her husband, their two kids, and their Filipino domestic helper. They live in 800 square feet together. The high rises are endless.

No comments: