Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Too long without a blog and a dog presentation



I didn't realize it had been three weeks since I blogged. I guess the dogs haven't done anything too exciting in that time. I am just back from San Francisco for the American Association of Suicidology conference where I was installed as the new President-Elect, a position I will hold for two years before becoming president. While there, I presented a session on how dogs help people cope with Jennifer Emmert from the San Francisco SPCA. She brought two therapy dogs and their guardians: Carol Hulse and Silver and Jo Kaufman and Kobe. As you can imagine, the dogs were a hit. When people arrived for the session, the immediately went to Silver (Kobe hadn't arrived yet) because most of us had been away from home all week and we were missing our own dogs. I'm including a few photos from the session. Near the end, when Jennifer was answering a question, I sat down in the front row and heard what sounded like snoring behind me. I kept thinking that surely it wasn't either of the women sitting behind me. Then I realized it was Kobe, sound asleep in Jo's lap! The weather has warmed up, finally, here in Albuquerque and the dogs will be taking a swim this afternoon. I convinced Nestle to get in the pool before I left but she only got as far as her paws before she jumped out. I believe the water temperature was about 63 degrees. Brrrrr! She wouldn't be a good hunting dog since she's been too spoiled at our house. The solar cover is on the pool now and I anticipate the pool water will be about 80 when we roll it off later this afternoon.

No comments: